Allergic reaction to fresh pineapple eaten on 1-25-15.

Patient: Tuesday, 1-25-15, ate some fresh pineapple. The top of mouth and back of throat started fiery burning. Eventually right nostril and throat were tender, too. Went to my doctor who said they didn’t SEE anything other than slight reddening. My MD said it was the pineapple’s citric acid. Throat still very tender, pain when swallowing. Anything I can do to help myself get better faster?

Symptoms: Lips slightly stinging feeling and peeled, inside mouth, back of throat patchy sore spots, tender, when swallowing sore like a sore throat.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.It looks like an allergy that you have developed to eating pineapple, hence for the avoid them.Here are a few tips to help you.You may use ice cubes on the lips and inside the mouth, it gives you good relief.Saline gargles 3 to 4 times a day sooth the throat.An anti-inflammatory medicine containing serratio peptidase with diclofenac combination will relieve the painAvoid tea, coffee, spicy and oily food till your symptoms fadeUse a moisturizer with vitamin E at bedtime, during the day apply ice cubesMake sure you drink lots of water throughout the dayAt bedtime, you may even take Citrezene tablet, which is an anti-allergy medicine.Hope this helped.Regards,