Allergic reaction to pre-surgery solution and non-healing surgical incision

Patient

Q: I had gastro surgery 4 mos. ago. The incision isn't completely healed, weeps, and a large area around the incision itches a lot and looks rashy. Surgeon said the rash may be from anti-bacterial solution painted on stomach in operating room. Benadryl and Zyrtec haven't helped itching and I fear the allergic reaction is what's keeping the incision from fully closing. Surgeon doesn't seem concerned, but open wound and rash concerns me.

Doctor

A:   I am more inclined to think that you have a wound infection. This would explain the failure of antihistamines to control your symptoms. You should raise this concern with your surgeon. An infection will delay wound healing as well as cause inflammation which could be mistaken/misdiagnosed as an allergic reaction.