Allergic Side effects for conceiving

Patient

Q: Hi Doc,whether intake of xyzal and naso clear spray will affect conceiving a baby.???My doctor prescribed Xyzal. I was suffering from allergic sneezing and subsequent wheezing. Does it affect the reproductivity or the baby. I'm not planning to have a baby for one year. Is it advisable to take Xyzal now?

Doctor

A:   Xyzal (Levocetrizine) and Nasoclear (Saline) Nasal Spray are not known to affect conception. Although, Levocetrizine is known to be safe in pregnancy (when taken infrequently) there aren't enough human studies to support it. Since, it is secreted in breast milk, it should be avoided during lactation. Your Allergy doctor may put you on intranasal corticosteroid nasal spray (if required) to control distressing symptoms. They are safe and have no systemic side effects, even during pregnancy or lactation. All the best!!