Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Allergic to cephalexin? Should I try something else?

Allergic to cephalexin? Should I try something else?

Patient: I have been congested since Halloween. I never had a sore throat. Just head aches and then a solid cough. Friday the 25 I was given cephalexin 500mg. Since starting them I have had chills body aches and mostly vertigo. I want to know if I should continue with the antibiotics and or any other ideas to get better. I am way sicker now on meds than I was before. Help head congestion. head ache sever cough now since meds vertigo head congestion sever cough ear ache. Could this be an allergy?

Doctor: Cephalexin is a cephalosporin antibiotic that works by interfering with the bacteria`s cell wall formation. Cephalexin i s used in upper respiratory tract, skin and ear infections. The side effects of the drug include loose stools, fever, sore throat, headache, skin rash, seizures, confusion and weakness.Since you are experiencing some symptoms that may be due to cephalexin, I would advise you to consult your doctor on an alternative medication.