x
198 Physicians Online

Question:

Allergic to Soda

Is it possible to be allergic to soda? I seem to have a strange sensation after I drink it. I have to constantly clear my throat and it sort of feels like I'm drowning. This came on about a year ago. I haven't changed the kinds of soda that I'm drinking (diet, always, and I've been drinking that for about 10 years) and I can't think of anything else that could cause it. It's irritating, not only to me, but everyone else around me! Thanks a bunch.

Answer:

The trust is it is possible to be allergic or intolerant to anything.  Furthermore, allergies and intolerance may develop suddenly at anytime in your life.
It is more likely that you are developing a reaction to one or more ingredients in the soda.  Sometimes changing brands or flavours can improve your symptoms. If that does work, it may be better to switch to healthier drink alternatives that don't cause you discomfort.
Good Luck

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA