Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Aloe Vera Juice Good or Bad

Aloe Vera Juice Good or Bad

Patient: Hi , i have an Hiatus Hernia for the last 4 years and i am taking Nexius for it since my diagnosis. I would also like to start taking Aloe Vera juice to help with the acid and heartburn.However I have read conflicting information about the good and bad points of Aloe Vera. What i have read has been largely positive but one piece of info i came across mentioned that Aloe Vera juice is bad for anyone who suffers from Hiatus Hernia or stomach problems and can cause bleeding. Could you shine some light on if aloe Vera juice for me. Thank You.

Doctor: Aloe Vera has long been used as a topical application for minor cuts and burns. in certain countries, it is also used to treat intestinal infections and as a laxative. Aloe gel is used as an emollient, moisturizer, and wound-healing agent in various pharmaceutical and cosmetic formulations.Aloe promotes wound healing. It is of therapeutic value in thermal injuries and a wide variety of soft tissue injuries, preventing progressive dermal ischemia following thermal injury, frostbite, and electrical injury. Aloe penetrates injured tissues, relieves pain, is anti-inflammatory, and dilates capillaries, thereby increasing blood flow to the injury. Aloe has antithromboxane activity, yet maintains prostaglandin ratio without causing injured blood vessels to collapse.Aloe vera should be used with caution in individuals receiving laxatives, digoxin and other medications used for heart rhythm disturbances, diuretics, or steroids due to increased risk of dehydration, potassium depletion, and electrolyte imbalance when taking oral aloe.