Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Alopecia Areata – What are treatment options?

Alopecia Areata – What are treatment options?

Patient: My sister 16 years old before 6 years her hair started falling out.she has skin scrapings and hair from lesion on scalp(Alopecia areata as Bacteria) after Treatment Hair begins to grow again for two months after that it begins to fall again.almost half of the head is affected.Currently there is no cure or improvement.

Doctor: I do understand your concern for your sister’s problem. The cause of alopecia areata is unclear, though some have though t that it may be due to genetic or autoimmune factors. The hair follicles remain alive and are ready to resume normal hair production whenever they receive the appropriate signal. In all cases, hair regrowth may occur even without treatment and even after many years. Treatment options like steroid topical injections or topical applications, minoxidil or anthralin ointment may help in some cases. An alternative to medical treatment would be wearing a wig or hairpiece. They can be used to cover either permanent or temporary hair loss. I hope this helps, take care.