Alright I need some help on this topic Ever since

Patient

Q: Alright I need some help on this topic. Ever since I was 13, I have had issues with episodes of breathlessness, that started with a choking feeling in my throat. Back then my pediatrician said my allergies could very well develop into asthma. Well lately my breathing episodes are occuring more often, mainly at night and when I wakeup in the morning. My symptoms include a choking feeling in my throat, followed by tightness in my chest, and gasping for air like I have forgot to breathe. Also when I am at work, even with very light movement, I will have to stop to catch my breath sometimes, because I feel the choking feeling in my throat occur suddenly and without warning. Im also highly allergic to pet dander mostly, which I am around 24/7. My question is could my symptoms be that of Asthma or is it just severe allergies?

Doctor

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor for contacting us about your health concerns.

I have read your query in detail and i understand your concern.
You seem to be suffering from Bronchial Asthma. This is also a type of allergic response.
It is quite difficult to differentiate between Bronchial Asthma and Allergic cough.
However, your symptoms represent Bronchial Asthma only.
Treatment for both of the issues is same.

I would advise in such scenario:
1. Hemogram with ESR
2. ECG
3. Chest Xray
4. Pulmonary Function Test

Your doctor would evaluate you clinically. If you don't have severe chest congestion, he would treat you with anti-allergic drugs like Levocetrizine and Montelukast. He may add deriphylline or doxophylline for the chest spasms.

If your chest congestion is very severe and there are wheezes and rhonchi's, then inhalers containing bronchi dilators like Salbutamol would be required.
You might also require short dose of Steriod inhaler like Budenoside.

Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.