Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Alternative diagnosis to diabetes

Alternative diagnosis to diabetes

Patient: My father and I have symptoms very similar to diabetes. Numbness in the pinky and ring finger, always thirsty, slow healing sores, fatigue, yeast infections. Yet whenever we’re tested the tests come up negative. Are there disorders with similar symptoms?

Doctor: I realize your concern about diabetes symptoms. Certainly the symptoms that you and your father are suffering from might be observed in other conditions, especially chronic diseases. Conditions that lower your immune response and lower your blood perfusion such as anemia, hypothyroidism might also cause numbness and favor fungal infections.I would suggest you and your father to consult your PCP and have some blood work. Starting with a simple CBC could guide your physician along with a more detailed history and evaluation. After that he might ask for some other specific tests such as hormone levels. I wish you a prompt recovery.