Alternative medicine to treat diabetes

Patient

Q: I was diagnosed with diabetes, FBS 200 and A1C 7.2% (last A1C 2 years ago at 6.4%) Doctor prescribed metformin along with dietary changes, exercise, and weight loss. My question is, if I implement the dietary changes, exercise, and lose weight, but use herbal treatments (including turmeric, shilajit, gymnema sylvestre, cinnamon, barberry), chromium, etc., how long would it take to see measurable result as compared to using the metformin?

Symptoms:  Headaches, body "buzzes" after eating sugary substances, nausea after eating sugar
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
Your blood sugar levels are high.

You need to be started on Treatment.
You would require a combination of Metformin and Glimepiride for the purpose.
Get them prescribed by a doctor only.
They would start you with an assumed dosage and will modify your medicines based on your blood sugar values.
I would advise you to get following investigations done:
1. HbA1c
2. Fasting lipid profile
3. Serum creatinine
4. Urine for microalbumin.
5. ECG.
As far as the supplements, diet and exercise is concerned, you can do that. It is going to help you, but medicines are also required.
You should get your HbA1c repeated after 3 months, control would get evident in it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy