Alternative Treatment for ADD-PI

Q: I've been on 10mg of Adderall XR for years now to treat ADD, along with other medications from time to time for OCD. Currently the only thing I'm taking is Adderall. Earlier this year I took myself off and lasted for about four months on no medication. I could function, but mentally I was a bit more lethargic. My mind was no longer as active as it once was. The problem, though, is that I feel the Adderall (now that I'm back on it) makes me tense. In some ways I don't really want to be on it. If I go off, though, I may end up in the same position as before: unmotivated and mentally quiet.

Recently I had some blood work which revealed that my vitamin D3 levels were below normal. After taking a D3 supplement I felt a slight change in my outlook. I mention this because I'd like to know about alternative treatments for ADD-PI. I doubt that D3 alone would do the trick; but is there anything else I can try? I want my brain to be active without medication if possible. And if it turns out that alternative treatments won't work, are there any other medications, about which I can speak to my doctor?