Always tired

Q: My father claims he is always tired, and sleeps a lot during the day, he tries to find excuses trying to say something is "wrong" with him but instead I think it's lack of doing anything. His day consists of sleeping, eating, laying on the couch watching tv, and the occasional work because he is an on call tow truck driver.

He says his work takes so much out of him, but from a 6am to 5pm shift he probably on average does 2-3 calls a day, maybe more maybe less. When he's not on a call hes doing the aforementioned sleep, eating, laying on couch. I think tow truck driving, hooking up cars and stuff is physical but I constantly tell him he needs to do more. He drinks Soda, fast food, just an unhealthy diet, and claims other food just doesnt taste good, and cant find it in him to just quit for a few days even after everyone tells him the urges will go away then.

As mentioned he constantly comes up for some excuse for it, saying he has a thyroid problem or something and I firmly believe and keep telling him he just needs to get excercise and do stuff, but maybe I am wrong. Please give us some type of idea of what he can do, whether there is a pill he can take, or just some advice. Thank you