Am I allergic to beets?

Patient

Q: I am a 29 year old female. I have never had allergies until about 2 years ago when I developed seasonal allergies. I recently ate a raw beet for the first time and I liked the taste but I did notice it left my throat feeling funny. After a few minutes of eating the beet my throat and post nasal drip area was very sore, almost like I had a very bad cold or something. This lasted for 2 to 3 hours and I went back to normal. I am wondering if this is an allergic reaction or if beets just contain something in them where this is a common effect. Have I developed a food allergy?

Doctor

A:   It is possible that was an allergic reaction to beets so try to avoid it if you can. If you really want to know for sure, you can consult an allergologist. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.