Patient : I am a 29 year old female. I have never had allergies until about 2 years ago when I developed seasonal allergies. I recently ate a raw beet for the first time and I liked the taste but I did notice it left my throat feeling funny. After a few minutes of eating the beet my throat and post nasal drip area was very sore, almost like I had a very bad cold or something. This lasted for 2 to 3 hours and I went back to normal. I am wondering if this is an allergic reaction or if beets just contain something in them where this is a common effect. Have I developed a food allergy?
It is possible that was an allergic reaction to beets so try to avoid it if you can. If you really want to know for sure, you can consult an allergologist. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.