October 15, 2018

Am I depressed and am i diagnosed with other disorders.

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Am I depressed and am i diagnosed with other disorders.

Patient: I wont be able to go to a doctors anytime soon for tests but i was wondering if someone can test me for depression, i want a professional and not just a test online. Can you please help?

Symptoms: Sadness, fatigue, unable to sleep at night, trouble getting up in the morning, weight gain, like being alone, less socializing, often forgetting, i get angry rather than happy, sexual aggression, abuse of drugs, more sad near fall and winter, low self-esteem, random panick/anxiety attacks, random periods of crying, flashbacks.

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.The symptoms that you have mentioned suggest that you could be having a depression. Depression in young can present such atypically. The mood swings that you are describing are occurring due to imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. The neurotransmitters like serotonine, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as fluoxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.You may meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a psychologist consult.Do meet your doctor.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No

READ THIS NEXT

×
Show