Am I infertile?

Patient

Q: I am 21 and I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years. For the past 2 and a half years we have been having unprotected sex, but I can't seem to get pregnant. What could be the cause of this?

Doctor

A:   Infertility is defined as not being able to get pregnant despite having frequent, unprotected sex for at least a year. There’s a chance that something treatable may be interfering with your efforts to have a child. Infertility may be due to a single cause in either you or your partner, or a combination of factors that may prevent a pregnancy from occurring or continuing.
One of the most common causes are hormonal imbalances, if you have irregular menses this diagnosis should be considered. Other common causes are anatomical and even lifestyle factors influence in this.
Before undergoing infertility testing, be aware that a certain amount of commitment is required. Your doctor or clinic will need to determine what your sexual habits are and may make recommendations about how you may need to change those habits. The tests and periods of trial and error may extend over several months. I would suggest you first to consult your gynecologist and after an evaluation he might refer you to a specialist in infertility. I wish you the best.