Am I intolerant to alcohol?

Patient: I am nearly 18 years old and over the past year I’ve developed something where whenever I drink even only one glass of wine, I get stomach cramps, really hot, diarrhoea, headache and feel sick and I don’t sleep at all that night. I used to be able to drink fine but each time i drink the symptoms get worse so now no matter what drink it is, whether wine or vodka or anything and no matter what amount, i get ill (as I had one glass of wine the other day and experienced these symptoms). Am I intolerant to alcohol?

Symptoms: Stomach cramps, feel very hot, can’t sleep, nausea, diarrhoea

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.You might be intolerant to alcohol particularly beer. However, I would also advise you to get a test done for Celiac disease as many a times, people with wheat allergy also manifest allergy with beer as it is made of wheat.Celiac disease is Gluten hypersensitivity.Get Anti TTG Antibody test done.In fact, I would advise you to stay away from alcohol otherwise also.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.