Am I Ovulating or Not?

Q: If I have a period each month does that mean that I ovulated each month? I am 40, had a child when I was 37 (first time trying we were successful). The past 2 months we tried (during ovulation time suspected). We never used any OPKs. My period was at day 26 one month, day 32 the next month and day 30 the following month. Am I still ovulating?

A:   Though you could be having normal regular periods, it does not mean that you are ovulation everytime. When you do not ovulate during your menstrual cycle, this is known as an anovulatory cycle. During an anovulatory cycle, the cycle tends to be irregular and the bleeding may be lighter or heavier. The best way to determine whether you have ovulated or not is by measuring the body temperature. This is called a Basal Body Temperature (BBT), and is measured as soon as you wake up in the morning. Your BBT will reach its lowest point at ovulation and then rise immediately and dramatically (about a half a degree) as soon as ovulation occurs. Other ways are by using Ovulation predictor kits (OPKs) which is quite accurate and able to detect ovulation 12 to 24 hours in advance.