Am I pregnant

Q: Im on birth control and haven't skipped a pill. Me and my boyfriend had sex but didn't use a condom. I took the "sugar" pill but haven't gotten my period. It's been 3 days. I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative. Could I be pregnant?

Symptoms:  Tired, eating a lot

A:   Women who are taking birth control pills regularly may not have a monthly bleeding. When taking birth control pills, it is common to miss a period every once in a while, or have a period that is very light like spotting or brownish discharge.
If you haven't missed taking any pills and you miss one period without any symptoms of pregnancy chances that you could be pregnant are low. Nevertheless do get a urine pregnancy test done.
Home pregnancy tests work by detecting the presence of the pregnancy hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in your urine. You should wait at least one day after your missed period before taking a home pregnancy test, although waiting a week is considered best.
Most home urine tests are similar in principle however there are certain differences in how you must do the test such as the method of collecting the urine, the length of time you need to urinate on the stick for and the symbols used to indicate whether you're pregnant or not. It is important to follow manufacturers' instructions as specifics may vary for each pregnancy test kit,
For more accurate results test first thing in the morning and give the kit a few minutes to work. Most women are able to take the test themselves without any hassles.
If the test is negative you need not worry any further and you may just start the new pack as per the plan (after a week if on a 21 pill pack or after the last inactive pill if on a 28 day pack).If however you continue to miss more than 2 consecutive periods while you are on the pills then I would suggest that you visit a doctor to get yourself examined.