Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Am I pregnant or is it something eles?

Am I pregnant or is it something eles?

Patient: Can I get pregnant?I had my last period on December 5th. I had sex on December 15th. We used condom but further protection I used emergency contraceptive within 3 hours. I am having spotting like bleeding for two days now from 28 December. I have sore darker nipples but no other pregnancy symptom. After December 15th we didn’t have sex. Can i get pregnant? For further information, I took two emergency contraceptives within 10 days in this cycle. Is it normal to have that spotting or is it implantation blood?

Symptoms: Spotting like bleeding, sore darker nipples

Doctor: In your case, after having used condoms and taking emergency contraception being pregnant is really very unlikely. Spott ing is a common side effect of emergency contraceptive tablets. Hence, it is difficult to tell whether you are pregnant or not on the basis of your history. Since you feel you are having pregnancy symptoms, its easier to take a home pregnancy test than thinking about the possibility of a pregnancy.Implantation bleeding is seen in some women who are pregnant at the time of the expected period but is characteristically lighter, reddish brown or light pink in color and is easily recognized as different than a period. What you have described as only spotting sounds like implantation bleeding too hence taking a pregnancy test is the best alternative for you.Home pregnancy tests work by detecting the presence of the pregnancy hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in your urine. You can take the test anytime now after your expected period date whether you are spotting or not.Most home urine tests are similar in principle however there are certain differences in how you must do the test such as the method of collecting the urine, the length of time you need to urinate on the stick for and the symbols used to indicate whether you’re pregnant or not. It is important to follow manufacturers’ instructions as specifics may vary for each pregnancy test kit,I recommend you visit a gynecologist or a contraception clinic to understand the different contraceptive options available to you and their correct methods of use. The correct information will help you avoid unwanted anxiety in the future.

Patient: But my spotting like bleeding stayed for almost a week. It was red period like bleeding but little in amount. I am having no pregnancy symptoms. Sore nipples have gone. All are seem to be normal now. It is common to have my period late?

View all posts