Am i pregnant or is my period on the way?

Patient

Q: My period is 3 days late and today i noticed a light brown spotting on the pad. I did a urinary pregnancy test which came out negative? I have no other symptoms. Am i pregnant?

Symptoms:  Late period, spotting 3 days after period was due
Doctor

Thanks for the query,
As the pregnancy test is negative and you have started off with some spotting, and also close to your cycles, having no symptoms of pregnancy as well, it is unlikely that this could be pregnancy.This could be due to hormonal changes and a period that is approaching soon. Sometimes the flow of the cycles will be very less and the period may look like spotting which may last for 3 to 4 days and stop.Wait for a week, you will mostly get your cycles. If not, repeat the pregnancy test after a week. If negative, consult a gynecologist for an examination. Polycystic ovaries, thyroid dysfunction,anemia, stress and hormonal changes could be a few reasons. The doctor will treat you accordingly to regularise your cycles.
Hope this helped
Regards.