Am I pregnant or is this my period?

Patient : I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend and I was wondering if i could be pregnant. My cycles are long and I had my period on the 23rd, it was lightly lighter than usual so I was wondering if it was breakthrough bleeding. I really hope it is not.
Doctor :   The best way of knowing whether you are pregnant or not is to take a home pregnancy test. Home pregnancy tests are based on the principle of detecting the pregnancy hormone human chorionic gonadotropin in one's urine. It is around 99 percent reliable in detecting a pregnancy. For more accurate results, test first thing in the morning and follow the instructions mentioned on the pack carefully. In the future, I would recommend that you use some contraceptive method as you may have realised by now that the stress of an unwanted pregnancy is just not worth it.