Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Am I pregnant or is this my period?

Am I pregnant or is this my period?

Patient: I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend and I was wondering if i could be pregnant.My cycles are long and I had my period on the 23rd, it was lightly lighter than usual so I was wondering if it was breakthrough bleeding.I really hope it is not.

Doctor: The best way of knowing whether you are pregnant or not is to take a home pregnancy test. Home pregnancy tests are based on the principle of detecting the pregnancy hormone human chorionic gonadotropin in one’s urine. It is around 99 percent reliable in detecting a pregnancy.For more accurate results, test first thing in the morning and follow the instructions mentioned on the pack carefully.In the future, I would recommend that you use some contraceptive method as you may have realised by now that the stress of an unwanted pregnancy is just not worth it.