Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Am I pregnant or just having an irregular period?

Am I pregnant or just having an irregular period?

Patient: Recently, I have been wondering if I’m pregnant. I think I have missed my period, but I’m not sure if it’s just being irregular. It has been pretty regular since August, I think. It should have started around Christmas, but it didn’t. I went on a website and did a period calculator, and based on my recent periods, it said it should have started on Dec. 26. Yesterday, I started having discharge come out of my vagina, and I would randomly get a really sharp pain in my left breast. It would hurt when I would breathe. Last night, I had a very awful headache, which made my eyes very light sensitive, and this morning, I started to feel sick while I was in the shower. I felt like I had to throw up. I ended up having to get out of the shower because I felt so bad. When I got out, I felt fine shortly after. What could all this mean? I have been pregnant before, and it ended in a miscarriage. I’m not trying to get pregnant. I don’t want a child now. I’m only 17 years old, and I’m still in school.

Doctor: To know whether you are pregnant or not, I would advise you to take a home pregnancy test. For accurate results, pregnan cy tests should be taken after you have missed your periods.