Am I pregnent? Did I miscarry? Or was I never pregnant to begin with?

Q: A little background: I'm 27 and I've only been sexually active for the past year. I have not ever taken any kind of birth control pill. My periods have been regulat ever since i started having them. My boyfriend is 41 and when we have sex he always pulls out long before ejaculation (I know this does not prevent pregnancy or STIs).
My next period is due about mar17 and my last period ended on feb 19. My boyfriend and I have had sex 5 times since then (he's long distance, otherwise it would be more. ; P ). On march 6th, only a little over two weeks after my period, I started spotting dark brown for three days. During those three days I was experiencing cramping, my breasts were sore, I was always really tired and thirsty, and I was craving food (that may have been because I had recently started to diet and exercise more). Once the spotting stopped, the cramping and breast tenderness faded. I was still very tired and thirsty the days after and still now. I had read online that all those things could be signs of pregnancy and implantation bleeding... So I told my boyfriend it was a possibility and all I could do was wait for my period to come or not come. I did look into buying an EPT, but it said the accuracy is not best until after a missed period, so I bought a cheap pregnancy test from the dollar tree instead just out of curiosity eventhough i knew it was too early to test; the result was negative.
On mar 13, a week after the spotting and 4 days before I expect my period I had a discharge of very dark brown blood. It was more than just spotting but less than a normal period. It was about a spoonful of brown blood followed by nothing else (so far). On the day of the discharge i had very light cramping and today (the day after) the cramping is a little heavier, not unbarable, but im not experiencing any more bleeding yet.
I'm concerned that I may have been pregnant for a few weeks and yesterday I had a miscarriage. Is there any way to know for sure?