Am I prone to getting keloids?

Patient

Q: I developed a keloid scar when i was younger from and in grown hair just under my left nipple. i have had my ears pierced and well as several scars on my shoulders and other areas that keloids normally form but they havent. Does that mean that my chest is only likely to form keloids? I am about to have gynecomastia surgery and i really dont want to develop another one on my chest. just wondering if the constant aggravation of my keloid was the only reason for the keloid to form.

Symptoms:  Scar
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible for certain ethnic populations to develop keloids. Persons with darker complexions have a higher tendency of developing keloids when compared to lighter complexioned people. After your surgery, you are indeed at risk of developing keloids in the area of the scars. However, if your surgeon is skilled, and your sutures are adequately placed, the keloid formation will likely be very low risk.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor..com