Amateur boxing after head trauma five years ago

Q: I was injured on the head 5 years ago i had blood on the brain. now i am supposed to amature fight this saturday. is this ok

A:   Five years ago you sustained a concussion and according to your description with intracranial haemorrhage. A concussion is a brain injury that produces headache, altered levels of alertness and unconsciousness. Most of the time is the result of an important and significant blow to the head that shakes the brain inside the skull, which temporarily prevents the brain from working normally. Sometimes a person who has a more serious concussion, may develop new symptoms over time and feels worse than before the injury, this is “Post Concussive Syndrome”. In the view of this precedent you should consider very carefully to expose yourself to a new head trauma that might have a cumulative effect with the previous one. Here are some facts that you may want to consider: Over time, professional and amateur boxers can suffer permanent brain damage. The force of a professional boxer's fist is equivalent to being hit with a 13-pound bowling ball traveling 20 miles per hour, or about 52 times the force of gravity. According to the Journal of Combative Sport, from January of 1960 to August of 2011, there were 488 boxing-related deaths. The journal attributes 66 percent of these deaths to head, brain or neck injuries; one was attributed to a skull fracture. Recent studies have shown that most professional boxers (even those without symptoms) have some degree of brain damage. Many concussions occur without the individual ever losing consciousness but researchers have determined that even a seemingly minor "bell-ringing" in the course of play can cause lasting physical and mental injury or even result in death. In summary, the best way to treat a head trauma is to avoid having one.