Amenorrhea

Patient

Q: Hello! I am usually quite regular with my menstrual cycle but I am currently 3 weeks late for my period (last period occurred around April 24th). My Fiance works away and the only window of opportunity we would have had to conceive would be the weekend of May 3rd when he was last home. While I'm not on birth control we did take our usual precautions. I have taken three pregnancy tests, all negative. I feel that at this point (being 3 weeks late) there would definitely be Hcg showing in my urine if I was pregnant. I feel great, no symptoms of pregnancy. I have been under a lot of stress lately with a wedding coming up in a few weeks, and a move across the country shortly after. I also went on a diet and lost about 15lbs for the wedding. Do you deem it neccessary for me to go get my bloodwork checked to rule out pregnancy? Thank you! Allison

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   You are absolutely right in saying that you should have tested positive in accurately done pregnancy tests. Also you don't seem to have any pregnancy symptoms, so i think that possibility is pretty much ruled out. I would not recommend blood hcg tests to you just as yet (assuming you used the home pregnancy kits correctly). However you are over a month late in getting your periods and such a prolonged amenorrhoea is not good. As you have mentioned stress and weight loss could be the contributing factors. If these are the only two reasons causing your hormonal imbalance, things should be normal soon. If this kind of an irregular pattern continues, I suggest that you visit a physician for a more complete evaluation.