x
Browse
180 Physicians Online

Question:

Amoxicillin and the kidneys

I have one kidney and I take amoxicillin every couple months when I go to the dentist cause I have a heart shunt just in cause of infection. I was wondering if amoxicillin can cause the one kidney I have left to fail?

Answer:

Amoxicillin is a ?-lactam antibiotic, and is excreted through the kidneys, therefore it can potentially cause inflammation and failure of the kidneys. There have been a few case reports of acute renal failure secondary to the administration of amoxicillin. Therefore I would advise informing your dentist of your past medical history, and the discussing with him the risks and benefits of prophylaxis during dental procedures.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA