Amoxicillin vs. Penicillin for strep like symptoms.

Patient

Q: I recently had strep like symptoms (two weeks ago). I was given penicillin 500 mg. It worked great but as soon as I finished the 10 days of antibiotics it came back within a few days. I tested negative for strep and mono two weeks ago and when I went back in today. They gave me the exact same prescription again. My question is shouldn't they have used a better antibiotic like amoxicillin the second time? From what I have read it is more effective and kills a broader spectrum of antibiotics.

Symptoms:  Inflammed tonsils, sore throat, alternating fever/chills, muscle soreness, white spots of infection on tonsils, difficulty swallowing.
Doctor