x
177 Physicians Online

Question:

Anabolic Steroids and Methadone

I am on methadone and wanted to start to take anabolic steroids. would they conflict with the methadone?

Answer:

The anabolic steroids refer to hormones that are either taken orally or by injection that influence the body's hormonal system to produce extra testosterone. The goal of taking anabolic steroids is to increase muscle mass. Anabolic refers to this muscle-building capability. The use of steroids suppresses the naturally occurring testosterone in the body and, in males, may lead to a decrease in testicle size (atrophy), decreased sperm production, nfertility, and baldness. As well, the excess steroid can be converted to estrogen in males and may lead to enlarged breasts (known as gynecomastia). Liver damage may often occur, and liver cancer is a risk. Psychiatric effects of steroids include excitation and depression. Aggression is common. Manic episodes of aggressive behavior are known as "roid rage," and violence may be the outcome. Depression and suicide may also occur. The interaction with medications as Methadone is not totally known, so I recommend you not to use them together.

Guest Says: Methadone lowers testosterone levels, you SHOULD take tesosterone. "The interaction with medications as Methadone is not totally known, so I recommend you not to use them together." LOL!! this doctor is a quack.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA