Anaemia and homeostasis mechanisms

Patient

Q: I need help answering these questions; how does having anaemia impact my homeostasis mechanisms? How does anaemia affect my heart rate? How does anaemia affect my breathing rate?

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

Anemia affects the homeostasis by reducing the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, leading to shortness of breath and fatigue.
Resting heart rate (the number of times the heart beats each minute while a person is at rest) is significantly affected by anemia. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, increased heart rate (tachycardia) is one of the most common symptoms of iron-deficiency anemia. Resting heart rates are higher in people with anemia due to the decreased number of red blood cells present in the circulatory system. Similarly with breathing rate, due to low oxygen-carrying capacity, hyperventilation can be present to compensate for shortness of breath.
Anemia can be easily modified and the commonest cause is Iron-Deficiency. To prevent that:

Include in your diet apples, apricots, asparagus, banana, broccoli, egg yolks, kelp, leafy green, okra, parsley, peas, plums, prunes, purpose grapes, raisins, rice brand, squash, turnip greens, whole grains and yams. Also eat foods high in vitamin C to enhance iron absorption.

Eat food high in oxalic acid in moderation or eliminate them as oxalic acid interferes with iron absorption. Foods high in oxalic acid include almonds, cashews, chocolate, cocoa, kale, rhubarb, soda, sorrel, spinach, Swiss chard, and most nuts and beans.

Hope this was helpful,
Regards.