Anal fissure

Patient

Q: Hello! I am 35yr old lady married with 2 kids. I have had an anal fissure since 1985. It used to pain when I was young, its pain is occasional but that time, my parents took me to see a Dr. Today, since its not pain, I wanted to remove it completely. 1). Am I risking anything?, does or will it became a problem. 2). I know the causes, symptoms and treatment but I want to remove it completely because it looks like my husband can't stand it. Please advise

Doctor

A:   Anal fissures can be quite painful and distressing. Surgical treatment is not aimed at removing the fissure but rather to alleviate symptoms while allowing the fissure to heal. Before surgery is attempted, non-surgical treatments are attempted. These include a high fiber diet, Sitz baths (Sitz bath involve immersing the buttocks in a solution of warm water and salt), topical anesthetics and stool softeners. If these measures fail then surgery is the next option. As with any surgical procedure, there are the potential for complications. Fecal incontinence, infection and risk of general anesthesia are the risks to be considered.