Anal Fissure - Rectogesic ointment

Patient

Q: Can rectogesic ointment be bought without an official doctor's prescription just over the counter at a pharmacy? I have an anal fissure .

Symptoms:  Anal pain while pooping, bleeding,
Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com.
Rectogesic works by relaxing the muscles of the anus which decreases anal pressure and increases blood flow. This relieves pain caused by anal fissures. The common rectogesic ointment used is Glyceryl Trinitrate 0.4 % and it needs a prescription from your physician to proceed.
The medicine may not suit a few patients and hence background medical history needs to be known.
So you need to consult your physician who can guide you accordingly.

Regards.