Anemia and exercising: Is it allowed?

Patient

Q: Is it safe to continue exercising when diagnised with anemia. My current iron level is 7.

Doctor

A:   Anemia occurs when the hemoglobin level in the blood decreases and this inturn decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of these cells thus leading to the symptoms of anemia ie tiredness , breathlessness etc. Thus in this condition your exercising capacity will also decrease. There is no harm per se  in exercising but i would advice you to exercise upto the level that you are comfortable with . As you may be knowing when we exercise we burn energy and our bodys capacity of needing oxygen increases and this need may not be met due to the Anemia and will lead to breathlessness. I hope this helps. All the best.