Anemia, Hypertension, and Asthma

Q: I am going to ask question about my aunt. she is suffering from anemia.she had been admitted at hospital some days ago and was discharged later on..but she feels week till now.she had been given 3 bags of blood and did some tastes .doctors saying she is okay.but she feels week and the most dangerous thing is she is facing some breathing problem all on a sudden she feels really faint and she cant breath and become so weak that she cant even move for 2 or 3 days. it happens 1 or 2 times a week.. she is an asthma patient,high blood pressure patient. what should she do now?? is that a sign of thalassamia ? or lever cancer?

A:   It is unlikely she has a thalassemia considering she was recently admitted from the hospital and her bloodworks could have detected it. Liver cancer may present with a variety of symptoms but if it is late in the course, anemia could be secondary to severe bleeding (bleeding from nose, stools, easy bruising, etc). I would suggest she should rest more because she is still recuperating from her illness. Her body is stressed from the previous illness so she should be taking her asthma puffers or inhalers everyday. Stress (physical, emotional, mental) can trigger an asthma attack which could explain the difficulty of breathing, weakness, etc. You can also check if she is taking all of the medications prescribed for her. If her condition persists or gets worse, she should go back to her doctor for reassessment. I do hope this helps and take care always.