Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Anemia or no Anemia?

Anemia or no Anemia?

Patient: Very low iron stores but normal hemoglobin? I’m tired more like exhausted all the time, shortness of breath, heart problems, weak, hungry all the time, no energy, lots of gas, bloating

Symptoms: ‘m tired more like exhausted all the time, shortness of breath, heart problems, weak, hungry all the time, no energy, lots of gas, bloating just feel awful all the time. Also sometimes stomach cramps… should I go to the emergency room

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,The presence of weakness and lethargy with continued exhaustion in light of decreased iron stores indicate an iron deficiency anaemia if the haemoglobin levels are less than 11gm%. Moreover shortness of breath, palpitations and chest discomfort can be secondary to anaemia or cardiac cause per e, as there is hyper dynamic circulation in anaemia and bounding pulse, similar symptoms are common in anaemic patients.Dyspepsia , bloating , gas, abdominal cramps and increased hunger can be seen in case of accompanied dehydration or electrolyte loss, or even in cases of diabetes mellitus, this would need to be investigated in detail.I suggest you get a blood sugar profile and a repeat CBC done with iron studies. If the Serum ferritin is low and TIBC levels are high , it indicates iron deficiency.I hope i have answered your query,Wishing you good health,Regards