Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Anemia runs in my family, I’m married and about to turn 20.

Anemia runs in my family, I’m married and about to turn 20.

Patient: Anemia runs in my family, I’m married and about to turn 20. My mother used to have me take an iron supplement when I was a teen. I have shaking legs and irregular periods and I get a lot of chest pain. If I’m to take iron, what would be a healthy safe dosage?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Before starting the treatment for anemia, you have to confirm the diagnosis.So, please do consult your Doctor and go for complete blood picture evaluation.With this the type and severity of anemia can be identified and management can be planned accordingly.In case of mild iron deficiency anemia, elemental iron of around 60 mg per day is needed.Hope this helps.Take care