Anemia while pregnant,borderline folic acid,low moods

Patient

Q: Hello.I had a baby 5 months ago.When I was pregnant my platelets were low and I got letter from maternity hospital which said that I have vitamin b12 deficency (my b12 level was 90 191-633.I got two injections from hospital.After my baby was born I went to my gp for bloodtest.Result for this bloodtest were followig-vit b12 203;folic acid-borderline;ferritin 21 13-150.Can you tell me what this means?How can vit b12 level change like this after I had baby,is it normal or something is wrong with my bloodtest results? I have depression all time and low moods,this affects my everyday live,I have small children to look after.As well I got grey hair when I was about 26 yrs old,I read recently that vit b12 deficency can do this for young people.This happened three years ago.I feel like I have vit b12 deficency symptoms depression,low mood,poor memory,spiders in my fingers and legs etc. for long time now.This affecting my marriage. Can you please answer me-are my blood results normal?Can I take vit b12 and folic acid and how much per day, I am breastfeeding at the moment?Can vit b12 levels go normal after having baby from 90 to 203? I would be very grateful if you could answer me.I know I have a lot of questions in one time

Doctor

A:   The requirements for vitamin B12, folic acid are increased during pregnancy due to its increasing demands, which get back to normal after the delivery of the baby. Vitamin B12 and folic acid help the body promote everything from normal growth to cell reproduction, from blood formation and protein and tissue synthesis to cardiovascular and mental health, as well as beautiful skin and hair. A deficiency of one can mask the other. They are usually sold together as one supplement. A typical daily dose is 400 micrograms.The best way to get enough folic acid is to take a multivitamin with 400 micrograms of folic acid in it and eat a healthy diet. The recommended dietary allowances (RDA) for folate is 400 mcg per day for adults, 600 mcg per day for pregnant women, and 500 mcg for nursing women. You should always include vitamin B12 supplementation (400 to 1000 mcg daily) because folic acid can mask an underlying vitamin B12 deficiency, which can cause permanent damage to the nervous system. Beans, leafy green vegetables like , citrus fruits, beets, wheat germ, and meat are good sources of folic acid. Leafy greens such as spinach and turnip greens, dry beans and peas, fortified cereals and grain products, and some fruits and vegetables are rich food sources of folic acid.

The requirements for vitamin B12, folic acid are increased during pregnancy due to the increasing demands, which get back to normal after the delivery of the baby. Vitamin B12 and folic acid help the body promote everything from normal growth to cell reproduction, from blood formation and protein and tissue synthesis to cardiovascular and mental health, as well as beautiful skin and hair.  A deficiency of one can mask the other. They are usually sold together as one supplement. A typical daily dose is 400 micrograms.The best way to get enough folic acid is to take a multivitamin with 400 micrograms of folic acid in it and eat a healthy diet. The recommended dietary allowances (RDA) for folate is 400 mcg per day for adults, 600 mcg per day for pregnant women, and 500 mcg for nursing women.should always include vitamin B12 supplementation (400 to 1000 mcg daily) because folic acid can mask an underlying vitamin B12 deficiency, which can cause permanent damage to the nervous system. Beans, leafy green vegetables like , citrus fruits, beets, wheat germ, and meat are good sources of folic acid. Leafy greens such as spinach and turnip greens, dry beans and peas, fortified cereals and grain products, and some fruits and vegetables are rich food sources of folic acid.