ANEURYSM IN THE PALMER ARCH IN CHILD DIAGNOSES

Patient

Q: ANEURYSM OF THE PALMER ARCH. MY 11 YEAR OLD SON JUST GOT DIAGNOSED A COUPLE DAYS AGO. HE HURT HIS HAND UP IN HIS ROOM PLAYING WITH HIS BROTHER. FROM MY RESEARCH SINCE HIS DIAGNOSES, I HAVE FOUND ONLY THREE OTHER CHILDREN WHO HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN AND A HANDFUL OF ADULTS. THE THREE OTHER CHILDREN WERE REPORTED TO HAVE ABRASIONS FROM GLASS OR OTHER THINGS THAT LEAD INTO THIS RARE ANEURYSM. MY SON DID NOT. HE JUST HAD A LITTLE RED DOT AT FIRST IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS PALM, AND THE SKIN WAS NOT BROKEN. THE RED DOT MUST HAVE BEEN FROM HIS VEIN, IT MUST HAVE SPLIT OR TORN. WITHIN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS IT TURNED INTO AN ANEURYSM. HE HAS HAD XRAYS AND AN ULTRASOUND. I NEED TO FIND A SURGEON WHO HAS SEEN OR HAD A PATIENT WITH THIS INJURY. I WANT SOMEONE WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF THIS OPERATION TO DO MY SONS. THANK YOU

Symptoms:  BULGING VIEN IN A CIRCLE SHAPE WITH PULSE COMING OUT DIRECTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF MY SONS LEFT HAND. HE ALSO PEELS SENSITIVITY WHEN HE PUSHES ON THE BULGE RUN UP HIS MIDDLE AND INDEX FINGERS. THE BULGE HAS A STRONG PULSE BEATING ALL THE TIME, WHICH WAS INDICATED IN THE ULTRA SOUND AS BLOOD RUNNING THROUGH A VEIN.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

An aneurysm is one of the possibilities, but here are a few others:
Blister filled with blood
Injury
Insection bite

You need to see a Surgeon to reach a diagnosis. Once a diagnosis is reached, he will advise you if you need surgery.

I hope this helps you.