Ankle fracture with a cast

Q: I have a broken ankle and in a cast, is it common for my toes to swell and go red when i lower my leg? and how long will this last, ive had my cast on for nearly 3 weeks now

A:     Yes, you may see some inflammation and redness when you are walking or your foot is on the ground while you have the cast. What is not normal is to feel severe pain, or have blue or cold toes, if at some point you experience any of the mentioned, you should go to the emergency room to get the cast removed. If not , just  try to keep the leg elevated, keep clean your cast and you may exercise by flexing and extending your toes.