Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ankle ligament surgery

Ankle ligament surgery

Patient: My MRI report and it states: – complete tear in anterior tibiofibular ligament – complete tear in anterior talofibular ligament – bone contusion in distal tibia, fibula, 2nd cuneiform and base of 2nd metatarsal bone. How long will it take for me to be able to walk again after the surgery?

Doctor: The ligaments injured are essential for stability of the ankle joint. I urge you to be patient as your recovery is likel y to be lengthy. It may take 3-6 months to achieve full recovery. Your specific recovery time may differ significantly. Physical therapy will be important after surgery to ensure you are able to return to pre-injury level of activities. Best of luck!