x
154 Physicians Online

Question:

Ankle - old injury new bruise

I injured my ankle about 5 years ago - tore 4 ligaments completely and partial Achilles. This ankle is now bruised along the inside but I don't believe I reinjured it. Very sore to touch but moves fine. Is it normal for an injured ankle to become 're-bruised' spontaneously this far past the initial injury?

Answer:

No , it is not common without a previous traumatism, but if  there is no swelling , or instability and you have complete range of movements of the joint, maybe other causes for the bruise might be rule out, I advise you to get a consultation with a Orthopedic surgeon for a re evaluation as well with a  Internal Medicine doctor and may be perform some blood test to determine the cause of the problem.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.