Ankle sprain has not healed in 2 years what should I do ?

Q: Two years ago I severely sprained my ankle, I went to see my doctor and he told me to not walk on it for 3 weeks and then wear a brace and supportive shoes. This did not help, it has been a year and a half and it has not healed at all. It looks swollen and when stretched I get numbness and pains in my ankle, when it is excersised too much it is very sore the next day, I have tried braces and wrapping it along with exercises, nothing has helped. What would your advice be?

Symptoms:  Swollen ankle, numbness and sharp pains in ankle when stretched