Ankle sprain should I see a doctor?

Q: I tripped and fell just over a week ago and fell on my ankle. I believe it was an inversion sprain. I felt some sort of ripping or popping so I was worried, but after sitting near where I fell for a bit I felt ok, there was no pain from touching my ankle. I continued hiking as if nothing had happened for the next 30 minutes and went home. That night and the next two days I could put weight on my ankle but could not walk normally on it, it never changed colors but it was swollen. The swelling is mostly in front of my Fibula. I can now mostly walk on it but if I turn it the wrong way, hit my foot against something, or turn it the wrong way it hurts. I have been icing it, wearing a cloth ankle brace and keeping off it as much as I can, but as a student in college I have to walk quite a bit to get to classes. The swelling hasn't really gone down. Should I go get it checked out or just keep doing what I'm doing?

Symptoms:  Ankle pain, swelling in front (to the right) of my fibula

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

It seems that you have damaged the ligaments in the ankle. The treatment for this is:
Rest the ankle and avoid running and prevent strain to it
Ice the leg for 15 mins at a time every hour
Compress the leg using a crepe bandage to reduce the swelling
Elevate the leg to reduce the swelling to allow blood flow back to the heart
Take tablet Brufen to help you reduce the swelling.

If you do not feel better after 3 days, see a Doctor. He will help to treat you. Hope this helps you.

All the best