Anorexia and hair loss: Long term effects

Patient

Q: I am recovering from anorexia which I have had for quite some time. Over the years, I have lost a lot of my beautiful hair. As my nurtition improves, will my hair return to it's normal thickness or at least will i begin to grow my hair again? Thanks so much.

Doctor

A:   I understand you situation and would like to reassure you that as your diet improves and the body starts getting the essential nutrients your hair will start regrowning slowly. Hair like other parts of the body needs essential nutrients and thus in cases of anorexia it is not uncommon to find hair loss. All the best.