ANOSMIA

Patient: About two years ago I had a very bad upper respiratory infection and after it had gotten better my sense of smell had diminished significantly. Your guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Anosmia after a severe URI is very common and is by the inflammation that the sinuses were subject to during the infection. Since it has been over two years that you have had a diminished or absent sense of smell there may be another cause for this. Other causes of anosmia could be due to nasal polyps, toxicity from certain medications you may have been taking, or this may be age related. We recommend that you seek the consultation of an ENT specialist who will examine your nasal passages for any polyps and conduct tests to determine the cause of your anosmia.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com