Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Another UTI or worse

Another UTI or worse

Patient: I’ve had UTI’s before but this one is worse than the others. Normally I’d only have the painful and frequent urination but now I have a mild backache, pain (in the urethra?) and the last drops of urine come out reddish too. When I press down on my pelvic area, it hurts. I feel slightly bloated.Will taking antibiotics for a UTI be enough or will I need antibiotics for possible kidney infection?

Symptoms: Frequent urge to urinate, painful urination, blood in urine, backache, cloudy urine, feeling bloated.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.The symptoms of pain during urination and back ache with blood in urine could be a urinar y infection which has recurred and progressed towards an infection of the kidneys, the other causes could be a kidney stone or a stone anywhere in the urinary tract.Before deciding on the antibiotics, dose and type, a thorough investigation is warranted in your case.The investigations may include a complete hemogram, white cell counts, basic hormonal assays, a urine routine and microscopy followed by a urine culture and sensitivity test, blood sugar, a high vaginal swab to rule out vaginal infections, an ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis. You may visit a gynecologist for an examination and for further follow up.Meanwhile I suggest you to drink plenty of fluids and keep your fluid/water intake around 3 liters a day. This will reduce your symptoms of painful urination and reduce the chances of kidney stones as well. The bloated feeling could be due to the recurrent infections, gastritis or constipation or a premenstrual symptom too. Reduce stress and avoid food high in oil and carbohydrates. Have a high fiber diet and include antioxidants in your supplements.Depending on the results of the examination and investigation the decision on antibiotics and any further intervention can be taken accordingly.Hope this helpedRegards