Antacids (Zantac) in First Trimester

Patient

Q: Can you take Zantac in the first trimester of pregnancy for heartburn?

Doctor

A:   There is no available data for Zantac(ranitidine) safety in pregnancy and I would adivse you to avoid taking it unless it is absolutely necessary and prescribed by your doctor. Lifestyle modification is the key for treating mild symptoms of heartburn. Smaller meals, not eating late at night, elevation of the head of the bed and avoiding foods and medications causing heartburn usually relieve the mild symptoms seen in early pregnancy. Chewing gum stimulates the salivary glands and can help neutralize acid. Abstinence from alcohol and tobacco is encouraged to reduce reflux symptoms and to avoid fetal exposure to these harmful substances. Antacids containing magnesium, aluminium or calcium can also be taken to relieve symptoms of heartburn.