Anterior Deltoid Pain

Q: My anterior deltoids are stiff and sore especially when I wake up from long periods of rest. Flexion and abduction hurt them most. I regularly work out 5 days a week for about 1.5 hours each session and only do shoulders once a week. They only started getting stiff after I took a one week break from going to the gym. So I haven't really worked them out in over two weeks and they are getting pretty bad. I try to ice it once a day but they don't seem to be getting much better. What can this be??

A:   Thank you for your question. Your anterior deltoid pain, and difficulty articulating your shoulder joint could be due to development of stiffness in the rotator cuff. This can occur in persons who regularly life weights and may not adequately stretch and/or rest the shoulder muscles. This would result in prolonged soreness and decreased range of motion. We recommend that you refrain from working out and have your doctor examine your shoulder joint to make sure you do not require any further diagnostic investigations into a possible injury. We recommend that you for the next little while you practice light work out routines and incorporate stretching into your daily workout to maintain the range of motion of the shoulder and reduce the pain. You can also treat your current pain symptoms with icing your shoulders as well as taking oral analgesic medication such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen provided you are not allergic to any of these medications. wishes you a rapid recovery.