Anterior tonsillar pillars sore No swelling, some redness

Patient

Q: Anterior tonsillar pillars very sore. There is no swelling, some redness. Should I visit a doctor or wait it out?
Painful to swallow though there is no swelling of pillars or tonsils; when I breathe through my nose I can feel air running across the pillars and it feels dry. Little redness on the pillars and back of the throat. There are no spots or any other anomalies. Beyond the redness everything looks normal and healthy. I did have a cold 2 weeks ago accompanied by conjunctivitis. Both lasted under 1 week. I now feel healthy other than the soreness. It is sore enough I have trouble sleeping. I feel that my cold or other virus has been gone for over a week but the soreness persists and if anything, feels worse than it did a few days ago. I was using Sudafed until my sinuses cleared and then discontinued use, about 5 days ago.

Symptoms:  Anterior tonsillar pillars very sore. Painful to swallow; dry feeling
Anterior tonsillar pillars ...-1
Doctor

A:   Thank you for choosing Ask The Doctor.

I have gone through the question and think that you have a viral infection or a bacterial infection. If you have yellowish colour sputum in large amounts(50 ml a day) then you can have a bacterial infection.

In the case of bacterial infection, you will need antibiotics and you should see a Doctor as soon as possible.

If not, you have viral infection for which I would suggest:
Drinking lots of water
2 tablets of Paracetamol 500 daily if you have a fever
Syrup Ascoril 5 ml 2 times a day
And gargling with lots of water.

This should allow you to recover in 3 days.

Please follow up if you have more questions. We are here to help you.

Wish you a quick recovery.