Anti-androgen treatment for Polycystic ovarian syndrome

Q: I've been diagnosed of PCOS and the doctor had prescribed birth control pills. I've been taking those of 6 months now and he told me I need to continue with it. I still suffer from hair loss and back Acne and excess hair, and I've read that for PCOS's penitents can have antiandrogens medicine beside birth control pills. Is that true? And If so, should I ask my dermatologist to prescribe any of these for me?

A:   Dian birth control contains cyproterone which is an anti-androgen, and is used in the treatment of PCOS. Often patients require at least 3 – 6 months to see an improvement in symptoms of acne and excessive hair growth. If your symptoms are not improving, I would advise contacting your family doctor or dermatologist for prescription of a suitable alternative to improve your symptoms.